Are you in the market to buy a soda making machine, but at a loss over which may be the best for you? Well, fear not my friend, because you’ve come to the right place! In this website, we provide you with all the information you’ll need about soda makers.
For those who don’t know what a soda maker is, it is a machine for making soda water (also known as carbonated water, sparkling water, or as I like to say – bubbles.)
It involves a simple process whereby ordinary tap water is turned into a refreshing drink that contains carbon dioxide (CO₂). It’s an enjoyable and invigorating way to drink water, especially if you are the type that gets bored drinking plain, flat water.
Soda making machines have been in use for several decades now, and its benefits have become popular over the years. The best part is – it’s just as healthy as plain old water!
Aside from its refreshing attributes, it’s also a healthier option than regular soda. Regular soda has so much sugar and other artificial ingredients. This device can also help you cut costs – no need to go to the grocery store for your favorite bubbly beverage when you can easily make it in the comfort of your own kitchen.
Also, with a soda maker, you won’t have any problems keeping your house from turning into a dump because of so many soda bottles and cans. As a result, there’s less to recycle for those of us who choose to go “green.” A unique feature of soda making machines is that it comes with the option of adding a variety of flavors to your drink—perfect for family members who have different tastes.
We understand that there are a lot of soda maker brands available in the market. We are here to make it much easier to find the right one for you, using our own experiences and the abundance of information on the web.
To help you narrow down your search, we carried out research on the five best soda makers available in the market. But, before going through the reviews of these five products, here are some important factors you need to consider.
How to Choose the Best Soda Maker
The brand of the machine
There are different types and brands of soda water makers available in the market. Keep in mind the brand you wish to buy is important, because each brand comes with its unique features and technology.
One of the leading brands in the industry is SodaStream®, and they developed a special refill system. There are also other brands such as Cuisinart®, KitchenAid®, etc., which offer distinctive product features. Go for the brand that has all the features you want.
Check customers’ reviews before buying
This is another important factor when it comes to choosing the best soda maker. Have friends and/or family owned a soda maker? Ask them about the pros and cons. Or, if you’re able, ask to give their machine a shot yourself!
Another easy and efficient way to search for customers’ reviews is through the internet. There are so many online market sites you can visit which give room for customers to write reviews on products they buy on the site. This is a great way for you to find the best sparkling water maker.
Check your budget
Everyone wants the best for his or herself, but money can be a limiting factor when it comes to making the final decision. Getting the best soda maker for yourself doesn’t necessarily mean spending all your savings! There are good soda water makers that are not too expensive that can meet all your needs. If you’re anything like us, you love a good quality deal.
So when choosing a carbonated water maker, go for the one that falls within your budget and has some (if not all!) of the features your heart and taste buds desire.
What to Look for in a Good Soda Maker
We’ve gone over the initial steps to take in choosing the best soda maker, now let’s look for the features that that will determine whether to go for it or not.
The quality of the material
Everyone wants something that is efficient, functional and long-lasting. This also applies to soda makers. Since it involves different manufacturers, the quality of materials may slightly differ from one to the next.
Soda water makers built with metals are stronger and more durable than other materials. If you’re into aesthetics, you may also want to consider the appearance or the design and if it fits in with your kitchen decor. Healthwise, make sure they are made of non-toxic materials. Like to live on-the-go? Check out the mobile carbonated water options.
The carbon dioxide (CO₂) canisters
This is the reason behind the fizz in your favorite soda water. Without this in place, there is no way you can produce carbonated water. Since these canisters need to be replaced from time to time, make sure the one you are going for is readily available and within your price range.
The reason why you got the soda machine in the first place is so you can have your much-loved beverage any time you want and how you want it. If it’s going to take more time for your CO₂ canisters to arrive or not at all, then owning a soda maker is pointless.
Check for product warranty
Different brands come with various warranty policies – these warranty policies have a LOT to tell you about the quality of a product. It shows that the manufacturer is confident and sure of providing you the best quality. Always check for the manufacturer’s warranty and choose the ones that offer extended warranty. This usually means they know their stuff.
Check for sturdiness
How sturdy is the product? This is a question you need to ask yourself before making a purchase. Save yourself future frustration – you wouldn’t want to spend your hard-earned money on a product that will break easily just after using it a few times. Also, make sure that they’ve passed quality tests.
Ease of use
You wouldn’t want to spend most of your time operating a machine just because you want a drink. Life is about making things easier for yourself! Go for a machine that is straightforward and simple to use. You can ask the seller to demonstrate how to operate it. If you think it’s still difficult to handle, then keep it moving and find another soda machine that better fits your needs.
Check for flavor
Most soda makers come with the option of adding a variety of flavors to drinks for a refreshing taste and kick. Some offer as many as 50 flavors (many are familiar and even the same as your favorite in-store flavors!) Make sure the product can give you the best tasting soda they can make. But, fear not, for we will be posting plenty of information about DIY flavors!
We’ve listed some of our favorites for you below
|SodaStream Source Sparkling Water Maker Starter Kit||$$||3.9/5|
|SodaStream Genesis Sparkling Water Maker||$$||4.2/5|
|SodaStream Fountain Jet Soda Maker with 4 Bottles & Mini CO2||$$||4.3/5|
|KitchenAid KSS1121CU Sparkling Beverage Maker||$$$||4.2/5|
|DrinkMate Carbonated Soda Maker with 3 oz Cylinder||$$||4.5/5|
|SodaStream Genesis Home Soda Maker Starter Kit||$||4.2/5|
|SodaPlus SP76327 Soda Carbonating Starter Kit||$||3.9/5|
|KitchenAid KSS3121ER Sparkling Beverage Maker||$$||4.2/5|
|SodaStream Crystal Home Soda Maker and Crystal Glass Carafe||$||4.8/5|
|Sodastream PLAY Soda Maker Starter Kit||$$||3.4/5|
Having talked about the things you need to know and what to look for in a soda maker, we have put together reviews for five leading soda maker brands in the market:
SodaStream® Source™ Sparkling Water Maker
This is one of the most trusted soda makers in the market. All the necessary features needed for a carbonating machine is present in this device.
The SodaStream Source Soda Water Maker takes just a few seconds to make carbonated water from ordinary tap water. With an LED Fizz Indicator and the Quick Snap-Lock bottle insertion, it is very easy to use this machine. It comes with a variety of flavors that make your soda taste fantastic.
If we talk about the design of the machine, its sophisticated design is going to blow your mind. It is sleek and portable, and it fits perfectly with any kitchen décor.
This kit has everything needed to produce a refreshing homemade sparkling water. A summary of the features of this incredible machine are below:
- The SodaStream Source weighs 7.7 pounds.
- It has dimensions of 10” x 5.5” x 17”
- The carbonation process doesn’t use power and is the result of the compressed gas in the carbonator.
- The LED Fizz Indicator is the only battery-operated component. The lithium battery is good for five years.
- Quick-Snap Lock provides a secure bottle attachment to the machine.
- It is a reliable product that comes with a two-year manufacturer’s warranty.
- You can choose from more than 40 flavors to mix in your drink. The mixtures are free of aspartame and high-fructose corn syrup.
- Apart from the Source Sparkling Water Maker, the starter kit also includes a mini CO₂ carbonator, a 1-liter reusable carbonating bottle that is BPA-free, and a free 60-liter carbonator that is redeemable once the mini CO₂ carbonator is empty.
- It saves you from littering the house with empty bottles and cans when you buy from stores.
- Since it doesn’t use electricity, it is pollution-free and energy-efficient.
- It is easy to use.
- It makes soda water quickly.
- It saves you a fair amount of money when compared to buying from stores.
- It is made of durable plastic materials.
- The mini carbon dioxide cartridge is used up fast. In just a few weeks, you’ll need a replacement.
SodaStream® Genesis Sparkling Water Maker
This is another great model that is manufactured by SodaStream. The Genesis Sparkling Water Maker comes in a unique but aesthetically pleasing design.
It is convenient to use, and it doesn’t mess up your kitchen because it has a high-pressure carbonating bottle. It has a refined mechanism that makes plain tap water into something special to drink in just a few seconds.
The fact that a reusable CO₂ carbonator powers it helps to keep your home uncluttered – you don’t have to keep empty cans and bottles around. Having this product saves you a lot of time and a lot of cash. It’s a great deal if you want more fizzy fun and refreshingly sweet times with your family or friends.
Listed below are features of this nifty little device:
- Weight is 6.9 pounds.
- It has dimensions of 9.2” x 5.3” x 4”
- It takes less than 30 seconds for this machine to convert ordinary water into a refreshing sparkling water or great-tasting soda.
- Choose from more than 60 natural flavors that contain no aspartame or high-fructose corn syrup.
- It can make up to 12 liters of sparkling drink for each bottle of soda mix.
- It doesn’t require electricity or battery.
- Once the 4-ounce CO₂ carbonator is empty, you can exchange it with a full 60-liter carbonator.
- No clean-up required.
- Making soda water is more economical and healthier when compared to buying ready-to-drink soda pop.
- It is efficient and free of pollution.
- It is easy to use.
- It takes a very short time to make you a refreshing drink.
- It gives you a broad range of options in making different flavored drinks.
- The CO₂ replacement bottle is a bit expensive.
- The starter 4-ounce carbonator empties fast.
SodaStream® Fountain Jet Soda Maker Starter Kit
SodaStream did a fantastic job in the manufacture of this soda maker model. The Fountain Jet is one of the best soda makers available in the market.
It comes with four carbonating bottles and a mini CO₂ carbonator which makes it unique. The sophisticated and sleek design of this machine makes it fit perfectly into your kitchen. It gives you varieties of mixes with different flavor options.
It doesn’t require batteries or electricity to function, making it free from energy-saving. When you compare it to the amount you spend in stores on sodas, it is way more economical and versatile.
This machine doesn’t mess up your home because the carbonating bottle can withstand high pressure, and you can determine the amount of carbon dioxide you need to add to your soda.
It is great to use for meals and parties with your family, and it gives children different options of flavors.
Below is a summary of all the features of this carbonated water maker:
- Weight is 7 pounds.
- Dimensions: 8” x 4.5” x 15”
- Choose from more than 40 natural flavor options.
- Requires no batteries or electricity.
- Comes with four carbonating bottles.
- Comes with a mini CO₂ carbonator.
- You can exchange the mini carbonator with a 60-liter carbonator from over 10,000 outlet locations once it is empty.
- Has a sleek design.
- Makes soda water within just a few seconds.
- It is usage requires very little effort.
- It doesn’t mess up your kitchen.
- It saves you money.
- You don’t have to litter your house with bottles and cans.
- Can make refreshing drinks the way you want it.
- Made of high quality and durable material.
- It’s a bit expensive to replace the CO₂ carbonator.
- The mini CO₂ carbonator lasts for a short time.
KitchenAid® Sparkling Beverage Maker
Apart from the SodaStream models that made our top five, the KitchenAid Sparkling Beverage Maker is another superb brand.
Before their first production of soda makers, KitchenAid was involved in the manufacture of different high-quality kitchen appliances. Its sparkling beverage maker is no exception regarding quality.
With the KitchenAid Sparkling Beverage Maker, you can enjoy refreshing and fizzy drinks. Its components are compatible with SodaStream® products which make it easy to get a refill.
It has a well-built design that can fit into your kitchen nicely, and it is made of durable and first-grade material. It turns water into an energizing drink in less than 40 seconds, and you can regulate the amount of CO₂ in your drink.
The starter pack comes with three flavors, and a 60-liter carbon dioxide carbonator. A summary of its features is giving below:
- Weight: 17 pounds
- Dimensions are 11” x 7.9” x 17.9”
- Has a premium die-cast metal shell.
- Comes with carbonation lever that has soft grip handle.
- Fits well with SodaStream products.
- Starter kit includes a 1-liter reusable carbonating bottle, 60-liter CO₂ tank, and a pack of three flavors.
- It produces great tasting refreshing drinks which makes you drink more water especially if you’re required to up your water intake.
- Very convenient and easy to operate.
- Comes with one-year warranty.
- It is clean to use.
- It is long-lasting.
DrinkMate™ Carbonated Soda Maker
The DrinkMate by i-Drink is another great brand of soda maker that comes with 3-ounce carbon dioxide cylinder. The DrinkMate carbonator has a unique feature that makes it the only soda maker that can carbonate any drink you have at home—from lemonade, apple cider, flat beer, wine, cocktails, and tea.
It offers different options when it comes to carbonating, which makes it rank as one of the five best soda makers in the world.
It is pollution-free and easy to use, requires no electricity, and has a patented Fizz Infuser that allows you to regulate the carbonation level in your drink.
A summary of its features are highlighted below:
- Weight: 4.4 pounds
- Dimensions: 5” x 11” x 17”
- Requires no batteries or electricity.
- It is easy to use.
- Can be easily cleaned.
- The DrinkMate is compact, so it saves counter space.
- The carbonating bottle is BPA-free, quick to connect, and has volume mark lines.
- Patented Fizz Infuser for better control of CO₂.
- Can carbonate virtually all drinks.
- It makes refreshing and great-tasting beverages.
- It is user-friendly.
- It produces great bubbles or fizz.
- Can easily fit into your kitchen.
- It can be easily cleaned.
- Although the design looks okay, an additional improvement on that will make it the best.
Considering all the soda makers and their advantages, we recommend you try out the SodaStream Genesis Sparkling Water Maker or the DrinkMate™ Carbonated Soda Maker as the two top picks out of five.
At the end of the day, you know your needs best, and any one of these would suffice. The choice to enjoy soda water comes at a price, but enjoying the bubbles doesn’t have to break the bank! Sign up for our free E-Book and receive notifications for future blog posts about recipes, how-to’s, new reviews and more.